Saturday, August 16, 2008

Urgh

It's been a long week, so my update will be late. Sorry 'bout that. The good news is, I got to see my darling family, meet my mom's adorable new kitten, and get a lot of work done on my book. By the way, I got my first (and second) rejection letter! Whoohoo! Expect a new update in the next few days. It's the last Ramona book but don't worry, good ol' Bev has left us a lot of great stories, so this blog won't be ending anytime soon.

Try not to hold your breath until the new blog comes out, I promise it'll be soon

7 comments:

dru-plus-spike said...

I'll just wait here for the present.
Sorry about the rejections.

the marve said...

dru, you do realize you're not getting a present, right?

dru-plus-spike said...

But--but Miss Binney said to wait here, at your blog, for the present.

the marve said...

Oh, poor dru. When are you going to learn that Miss Binney, like most of Ramona's teachers, is mildly handicapped?

colleenn said...

I'm so sorry about the rejection letters. :( I've gotten plenty this past year, in the form of rejections to MFA programs, so I can sympathize. One school saw it fit to send me two rejection letters a couple months apart. I think they just enjoy making people miserable and wanted to really drive it home on that second letter they sent. :P I was at the point where I was thrilled when I finally got a waitlist notice rather than yet another rejection. You know you've hit "pathetic" territory when you're overjoyed with a "we almost liked you--but not really!" ;) Anyway, good luck, and I hope you receive a non-rejection very soon.

the marve said...

Aw, Colleenn, I feel your pain. I've actually come to look forward to them, though. Most of them come from the LA's that haven't read any part of my book, so I figure they don't know what they're talking about. I have them posted on the refrigerator.

Have you found an MFA program yet?

colleenn said...

I have all my rejections saved someplace too. :) And I did find a program! The school that waitlisted me was Boston University, and after a few weeks, I contacted them and was told that while the playwriting director was on vacation, the final applicant had accepted the offer. But then she said that she'd still love to have me in the class anyway (awesome!)--BUT, there was no financial aid (boo). We talked about ways to make the program as affordable as possible (summer classes, transfer courses, etc.), and she then gave me the option of deferring for one year and starting in 2009. No guarantee of aid then either, but at least there's a shot. So that's what I did. This year, I'm going to take two graduate-level electives at UMass where my fiance is getting his PhD, and they'll transfer to BU at over ten times less the cost (yay in-state tuition!). AND, best of all, the BU playwriting program, which is currently only one year and really short for an MFA, is becoming a three-year program in 2009, so I get a longer, less jam-packed program for waiting a year. So now I'm feeling pretty good... but for most of this past year while I was applying I was an absolute neurotic mess. :)